Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sunder: Day 40

Workin' on a Saturday again.  Too Friday night off to watch Adam play hockey.  It was a loss and we were all crushed (his girlfriend and I) but there was an exciting fight which is not something you see in rec league hockey.  Came home to visit my parents and take advantage of the free laundry here and while my jeans and shirts were doing the laundry mambo, I wrote up some character notes about Charlotte.  May do some more work tonight, depending on how well the Senators do in their match against the Maple Leafs.  If they tank, I may end up doing some more work before bed. 

Character notes are not something I concerned myself with in the past, but I can see the utility of them, especially when working on a long term project like a novel.  If there is any truth to the saying that details are everything in fiction, then it is in characters where the most important details must lie and collecting notes about the characters can be a critical exercise.  It helps maintain consistency because it can be tough to keep all the details of an individual character straight in the mind, much less an entire cast of characters.  It can also uncover some really interesting background information that provides depth and texture, making individual characters more memorable, lovable or hateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment