Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Learning to Walk

My "career" as a writer proceeds in short, brief stages of intense creativity followed by long periods of hibernation.  Even cursory review of this blog can attest to that. 

Writing is shaky everytime I start up again.  The major idea is planted firmly in my head.  I can see it before me; the trouble my imagination has after so long in the mothballs is teasing out the details then capturing them in words.  Tonight I started up again with a NaNoWriMo project I am tentatively calling Possession.  The goal of the NaNoWriMo contest is to challenge yourself to write a 50,000 word novel in the space of a month--a project that requires, if the rules are any indication, pacing more than anything, even an idea it would seem.  I have my idea, such as it is, and tonight I produced 1529 words which is not too bad, but it took some doing to get those words.  When you consider that I am nine days behind the rest of the pack and coming off a long period of creative drought, it is clear that I have a long, steep climb ahead of me. 

So early to bed tonight and early to rise tomorrow.  Maybe I can haul myself out of bed and put down another 1500 words before work.

In Other News...
Had my second physio appointment today.  Right now my shoulder is tender.  It's from all the manhandling that Tony "Soprano" Regert, my therapist, put me through today.  The guy gave me new exercises to do and he even applied electrodes to my shoulder.  What a weird sensation!  It felt like a series of hard, rapid taps deep inside the muscle tissues.  The device would fire a 15 second burst followed by a 15 second break and it kept this up for a good 10 or 12 minutes.  What's he got in store for me next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment