Monday, November 8, 2010

I've been following the directions of my doctor and my physio-therapist for the recuperation of my shoulder.  I've been diligent about doing the stretching and the strengthening exercises they prescribed for me and I've noticed a little bit of improvement in the last week.  It has been enough to encourage me to test my limits a bit and in every instance my shoulder has responded predictably: it aches for about half an hour and then gets better.  It would seem, though, I am more likely to re-injure myself doing something simple, something that comes naturally, something that requires no premeditation.

Like putting on socks.

I did something to my shoulder this morning as I was sitting on the edge of my bed putting on my socks.  In fact, I had put the socks on with no difficulties, but when I stood up I moved my arm in such a way that it aggravated some still-tender ligament and send a shock of pain down the back of my arm with all the flash and intensity of a bolt of lightning.  Christ, it hurt.  Turned my entire arm to jelly.  Later, I reached into the fridge for some orange juice and it happened again.  Then again putting the orange juice back, even though I moved slowly and carefully.

After an injury like mine, you learn the limits and you do not exceed them.  I haven't lifted anything heavy anywhere close to shoulder height with that arm, let alone over my head.  You move cautiously as you approach those limits, but you think nothing of moving freely within them.  Whatever I did this morning as I stood up from bed--whether I shrugged to adjust my shirt or simply swung my arm as I took a step--it reminded me that that joint is still delicate, it is still made of glass and it can be cracked or even shattered at the slightest over-provocation.

The recuperation phase is going to be the worst phase for me. And yet, in other ways, it's going to be the best phase for me.  On the one hand, I want full mobility now.  I want all my strength back now.  I want unrestricted range of motion now.  Yet I can't have them now.  I have to put in the work.  Dues must be paid.  At then end of this stretch of road, my patience will be as strong as my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment