Friday, May 28, 2010

Sunder: Day 17

Much work done on the overall framework for "Sunder". I spent the night jotting down notes about alternating storylines for Charlotte Hudson and Colbrit Niemeier.  Until now I had been winging it improv-style with a general idea about where I wanted the story to go, but the major events broke loose tonight and have unfolded for me.  This is very exciting in ways that only a writer can understand.

I have never been one to make plans for the stories I write and that's probably why most of them lose their way and fail.  It's not that I disagree on principal with planning them because I can see the worth of doing that kind of work, it's just that I've always gotten impatient and just started writing the story.  I don't know what happened tonight to make this sudden leap forward, but I appreciate it (if you're listening, Writing Gods). 

Essentially what I'm writing is a synopsis.  Each paragraph describes a major chunk or movement of the story and the movements alternate between Charlotte and Colbrit.  I'm going to try to finish the synopsis tomorrow then I'll let it sit for a couple days and work on a few other things (more notes about the settings, the characters, etc.) then return to it and try to refine it a bit. 

After that I will try to plan out each movement into at least 2-3 chapters with the aim of fleshing out the sections into more detail.  I will try to write at least one healthy paragraph describing the action in each chapter.  The goal of this is to zoom in on parts of the story at closer and closer magnification.  That part of the work might take longer to do but I think it will be worth it as a planning exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment