Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sunder: Day 62

More progress on the prologue, though I'm going to knock off earlier tonight than I have been for the last couple of weeks, but more on that later.

I think I may have mentioned several posts ago how some of the ideas that I came up with earlier on have been giving way to newer, better ideas.  The story asserted itself again tonight and I have refined a major portion of the first part of Sunder.  I am still going with the the Echols/Solis murder, but I have four pages of jot notes that have changed the motive for the extortion plot and the subsequent murder.  A new twist presented itself that I am very happy with, one that I hope readers will be, too.  All of this new material will expose some of the skeletons that the beleaguered hero Niemeier has been trying to keep hidden. 

Tonight's work has also highlighted some other areas that I need to work on in addition to putting down the foundations of the prologue: character descriptions/histories (brief ones, one to two pages, for the minor characters) and notes about significant places in the story.  I can think of at least five character bios that I need to work on and three, maybe four, settings that should be fleshed out.  I feel that I should do these things now so that I can get to know those people and places so that when it comes time to actually (finally) begin writing the prologue I won't have to break the rhythm in order to conjour something up.  It may make for a stronger piece of writing in the end.  Who knows?

I'm knocking off at ten tonight instead of the usual 11 or 12 that I have been keeping lately because I cannot keep up that schedule.  By the time I got home and got to bed it was getting well onto 1AM or later and I still had to work the next day.  So, from now on, 10PM is the limit.  It means a little less writing time, but I can keep the pace up all week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment