Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sunder: Day 26

Synopsis (1st revision): Much work done to improve the prologue; will let it sit for now and work on fleshing out events in the early chapters of Sunder's First Movement.

In Other News
Not a good day today.  First, I hit a dog on the way to work.  A yellow lab.  It was running around in the middle of Walkley Rd, scared to death and trying to get across.  It started to leave my lane, and I accelerated, but a big red truck coming up in the other lane scared it and it darted back in front of me.  I hit the brakes but I slid into it.  What an awful crunch it made.  I thought I killed it, but the poor thing got up and took off across the road.  I felt pretty awful most of the morning and one person made a joke about it in what I'm sure was an attempt to try and lift my spirits.

What upset me the most about that little exchange was this person owns not just one, but two yellow labs like the one I very nearly killed this morning. 

The other bit of news that made today just fabulous was finding out someone I know committed suicide sometime Thursday morning.  I heard the news from K.M. who knows this person quite well.  The victim owns a parcel of land next to K's place, but lives in a nearby city.  Early reports indicate that he hung himself in his apartment.  From what K told me, his mother had died quite recently and he had had a fight with his ex-girlfriend on Wednesday night after the funeral. 

I knew this man.  I've had beers with him on K's back porch.  He was a small Frenchman, always smiling and telling jokes.  I didn't know him as well as K, but it still bothers me that he did this to himself, that he did this to his little boy.  I don't want to judge him, but what else was going on in his life that the last 48 hours drove him to this desperate, senseless, cruel solution? 

Today really sucked.  I mean, it really sucked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment