Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sunder: Day 20

Closing in hard and fast on the ending of the synopsis for Sunder.  I can see a glimmer of light at the end of this particular tunnel.  There are longer and longer tunnels ahead, but when this is over I'll know how long they are.  I've never written a synopsis for a major piece of writing and so, by extension, I've never been this close to an ending before.  I'm really excited.

Made a big push tonight and some amazing ideas that I did not expect came to the surface.  I am thorougly exhausted from the late nights that this project is demanding of me.  My eyes are scratchy and I have a mild headache from concentrating so hard.  I feel fuzzy and slightly out of phase, like a signal on the radio that you can't quite tune in.  It's going to be a long day tomorrow and an even longer day on Friday.  I can see that I am going to have to pay much closer attention to rest and nutrition if I expect to keep up this pace (37.5 hr/week at my job and 15-20 hr/week at writing).  It might even do me some good to get back to exercising a bit.

As tired as I am, I have not felt this kind of vigour in years.  I was living with my parents and writing at night at the library the last time I was this energized about a project.  I didn't have a synopsis or any kind of writing plan to work to back then.  Even though I produced a lot, I always had the vague sense that the story was lost.  I did indeed get lost in that one, especially in the Time of Sorrow two and a half years ago.  It took me a long time to get clean again after that--still working on it, in fact, but this work and the energy I'm pouring into it have given me direction again. 

I am a Jeep that got stuck in a bog and I am winching my way out, slowly and carefully.  Days like these, the Jeep and I whisper the same prayer: "Please, God...let that tree be rooted deep."

No comments:

Post a Comment