Saturday, January 5, 2013

Small Step Sideways

In a previous post I talked about my short story "Conservation" being available for sale on Smashwords.com and other online retail outlets.  In a small step sideways, I have depublished that story from Smashwords.  I, as a Canadian indie author, must find a way to navigate the US's revenue taxation scheme (or face it's wrath) but I'm finding it difficult to navigate Smashword's FAQ with respect to foreign authors.  Being averse to wrath, of the legal or biblical sort, I thought it best to take a step back and regroup.

It's disappointing for me to have to depublish anything, but I look at this as an opportunity.  I can hit the reset button and start over with a different self-publishing site.  My goal at this point is to build readership and articles that I have read all indicate that indie authors do this best when they offer their ebooks to the world for free.  So far the best site I've seen for free self-publishing is Feedbooks.com.  It has an easy to use interface an there's no tedious format checking/correction to work through.  It's write, click and publish.

So, as I said, a small step sideways away from writing "for profit" and back to writing "for me".

No comments:

Post a Comment