Friday, September 7, 2012

The Blind Leap

I can sometimes be impulsive.  To people who haven't known me for very long this can come as a surprise because I maintain a thick matte coat of pragmatism.  But underneath all the "wait-and-see" and "let's-think-about-this" kindles a spark of spontaneity, as evidenced by my joining Wattpad.

Sometimes leaping before you look can end badly.  I was afraid that might have been the case with joining the online writer's community, especially when I realized that a big proportion of their members are below the age of 25.  One member was looking for feedback for his work from "older" writers--"19ish or older".

Oh my.  What have I gotten myself into? 

But then I did some more internet research on the site and discovered, to my delight, a news article from the Guardian out of the UK written by none other than Margaret Atwood.  "Why Wattpad Works" gave me reason to believe that this blind leap will turn out all right.  I mean, if someone of her clout and renown in Canadian literary circles thinks such a venture is a good idea--and actually uses it herself--then someone like me, a virtual unknown, can only benefit from using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment