Monday, August 20, 2012

Redrafting "Conservation"

Spent the weekend rewriting sections of Conservation and I'm pretty happy with the results.  I sound ambivalent because there are still things that need to be improved, but I'm filling gaps and fixing problems so that's a step in the right direction.

Some surprising things happened, too, so that can only be good for the reader in the end.  I'm looking forward to a full week of this since I'll be looking after Keith's house while he and the family are in Penetanguishene.  I need the peace and quiet to be productive.  The ideas need stillness within and that won't happen unless there's stillness without.

For now, though, I must focus on my day job.  For writers who are  not supported by grants or patronages or that mythical siren, "the publisher's advance", focussing on a day job can be very difficult when they are finally getting some traction on a story.  Ideas intrude on the mind all day long like new puppies that want to play.  Every hour spent in front of a computer not writing is an hour lost.

...but one must satisfy obligations; one must eat; one must pay the rent and fill the tank with gas.  And so I scratch those ideas behind the ear and send them off into the backyard of my mind with a promise:  "Soon, little buddies.  I'll be out to play soon and we'll run each other ragged."

No comments:

Post a Comment